New to day trading in general or want to switch to NinjaTrader 8? You need to watch this video.
We covered just about all the basics:
• How to download and install NinjaTrader
• How to open and navigate charts and the SuperDOM
• Recommended chart configuration
• How to connect to a data feed for real-time, simulated futures trading
• How to install indicators and add them to charts
• How to switch between NinjaTrader’s themes (skins)
• How to save your settings (indicator presets, chart templates, and workspaces)
• How to generate indicator licenses for our products
• How to fix common charting problems
We had a lot of ground to cover, so we ran through the material in a quick fashion. Remember to pause the video as needed and practice.
As mentioned, here is our free Get Started Trading Guide.
Also, here is the more advanced SuperDOM video mentioned in the presentation.
As always, we’re here to help. To reach us, visit the contact page.
In this webinar, John Paul shares his live charts and reviews recent days using the Atlas Line and ATO 2 software for NinjaTrader 8.
E-mini volatility is at its highest during first couple hours of the trading day. Use the ATR (Average True Range) with a Period of 4 to find the volatility. Avoid trading when the market is too slow because the movement is often choppy. An ATR between 1 and 4 is ideal for trading. For the E-mini, the bell rings (well, technically not anymore) at 9:30 a.m. US/Eastern. Usually, you can find a couple trades soon after the market open. This is what the ATO strategy is designed to do. By the way, avoid trading at the close (last half-hour), as traders are often pushed out because of a squeeze effect.
• Jump to about 10:00 of the Part 1 video to see the Atlas Line signals over multiple days.
• The Get Started Trading Guide was recently updated for NinjaTrader 8.
• Download the news indicator for NinjaTrader 8 to see upcoming news events on your chart.
• The next Group Mentorship class begins May 8. All of our courses and software are included, plus eight weeks of live training. It’s the best deal – cheaper than purchasing the products separately. Click here to save your seat.
Click here to get the ATO 2
Here are four consecutive days of consistent signals using the At the Open (ATO) method. The ATO keeps trading simple. The course and live training fully teach you how to find the trades on your own without the aid of software. You can also rely on the software signals to find the trades. There are no complicated indicators that are difficult to interpret or provide mixed signals. No guesswork.
Do you see the clearly labeled short entry signal at 2383.25? The ATO 2 software for NinjaTrader 8 expects price to drop, allowing you enough time to place a trade. The same is true for the Long signal for the previous day. The day before that, the ATO 2 software generated two short signals: a regular signal and an ATO-C, which is a Trade Chaser signal. Yes, there are two types of ATO trades the software will identify. The third trading day was another good short trade. Remember, the goal is to get in and out within the first couple of hours of the trading day. Take a look at this ATO review from thebalance.com.
Included with purchase: bonus How to Trail a Stop training video, bonus ABC software for NinjaTrader 8 (provides entry signals), ATO training video, a live training session with John Paul, and email support. We can also help set up your NinjaTrader 8 platform via remote support.
Click here to get the same signals on your NinjaTrader 8 charts.
The Atlas Line was on fire on April 12, 2017. The Atlas Line’s five signals for April 12, 2017 produced +17 ticks or +$212.50 (trading one contract). If trading two or more contracts, simply multiply. Note that slippage, broker fees, and other deductions are not applied. See DayTradeToWin Atlas Line reviews from verified traders.
Remember, the Atlas Line will produce a short signal whenever there are two closing bars below the dashed line. The S signals you see are for Strength trades. The P signals are for Pullback trades. The rules for these signals are taught during the live training.
The first signal appeared at 10:00 a.m. with a short at 2347.25. This trade was worth 9 ticks. A second short signal, worth 10 ticks, appeared at 10:30 a.m. Why are the trades worth this amount? The profit target is based on the current ATR (Average True Range) value. It’s important to trade with reasonable profit target and stop loss goals to minimize risk and increase profit potential.
The remaining signals are for Strength and Pullback trades. You can see the approximate entry positions and outcome. Losing trades are inevitable part of day trading. You need to make sure your system produces more winners overall over a larger time frame. And, as always, make sure you can afford to trade considering the risk involved.
CME (Globex) equity markets such as the E-mini will be closed for Good Friday on April 14, 2017. Expect the markets to resume Sunday evening, as normally scheduled. Click here for the official release (Excel file).
The next trading holiday is Memorial Day, Monday, May 29. The market will halt early at 1:00 p.m. US/Eastern.
Here are all of the 2017 trading holidays…
*All times listed are in the US/Eastern (ET) time zone; the same as New York time. All listed closures apply to CME equity products (futures) such as the E-mini S&P.
|Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
||Mon., Jan. 16: Early close at 1:00 p.m. ET
||Mon., Feb. 20: Early close at 1:00 p.m. ET
||Fri., Apr. 14: Closed
||Mon., May 29: Early close at 1:00 p.m. ET
||Tue., Jul. 4: Early close at 1:00 p.m. ET
||Mon., Sep. 4: Early close at 1:00 p.m. ET
||Mon., Oct. 9: Normal hours
||Fri., Nov. 10: Normal hours
||Thu., Nov. 23: Early close at 1:00 p.m. ET
Fri., Nov. 24: Early close at 1:15 p.m.
||Mon., Dec. 25: Closed
Click here for the official listing from the CME website.
Click here to compare the holidays in 2016.
Our trading software/indicators are now available for NinjaTrader 8. NinjaTrader 8 has been redesigned with many new features. Transitioning to NinjaTrader 8 is fairly straightforward, as all of the main features are intact with the same or improved capabilities. The look and feel is somewhat different, as this new version offers dark themes and clickable text instead of buttons in many areas. Clients can now use the At the Open, Atlas Line, Multilines, Roadmap, ABC, and the News indicator with NinjaTrader 8.
John Paul, founder of Day Trade to Win, held a live webinar to demonstrate functionality on NinjaTrader 8. We’re committed to providing free updates to our clients who have lifetime licenses. For example, you can contact us if you have a Lifetime Atlas Line license or a Trade Scalper license. If you’re a Mentorship student, you will receive all the updated software. Please email [email protected] or use the contact page to find out how to upgrade your software.
As a 10+ year industry leader for trading software and education, DayTradeToWin offers the best strategies to understand price action. Courses are suitable for all experience levels. The next Mentorship class begins April 20. With your early enrollment, we will send over the trading material right away. Seats are filling up, so act now before there’s no more space.
To learn all the tricks in John Paul’s arsenal, join the next Group Mentorship class that begins Feb. 11. With your early enrollment, we will send over the trading material right away. Seats are filling up, so act now before there’s no more space.
Here’s part two of the recent live webinar. The first real-time Trade Scalper trade was a three-tick winner. Watch the rest of this video to see another Trade Scalper three-tick winner.
In the first five to 10 minutes of market open, be very careful because many traders are battling for positions.
There are two scalping strategies taught by John Paul: one is the Trade Scalper, offered on the courses page and the Price Action Scalping method, taught only in Mentorship. Most of the time, he prefers using a 5-min charts and placing two or three trades a day at most. It’s easy to risk more than necessary when scalping. When trading into the afternoon, it’s easy to give the market back all your wining trades.
If there are news events, it’s best to stay out until the volatility subsides.
Even if you have the money to trade many contracts, you can still be psychologically impacted by winning and losing traders. That’s why John Paul recommends practicing first, starting with one contract, and moving up as you see success.
Is there an upper limit to the number of contracts one can trade? John Paul says yes. If you trade with 50 contracts and use limit orders, only a portion may get filled. That’s called a partial fill. Using limit orders will prevent you from getting filled completely. Trading many contracts using market orders instead increases the likelihood of getting filled completely. Also, don’t trust the buying and selling numbers seen in the DOM. Hundreds of buying or selling positions can instantly disappear on the DOM. Don’t get lured in!
Part 2 of the recording will be posted soon
Did you catch the two Trade Scalper trades this morning? John Paul took these real-time trades – watch the video. The first trade was worth three ticks. You can see the Atlas Line, Trade Scalper, and ATO signals live as they appeared on the chart. A large number of traders were in attendance. Later in the presentation, the Atlas Line began to plot with a signal to go long (buy the market).
• The first 5-10 minutes of the start of the session, expect high volatility and whipsaws.
On Fridays, it’s common to encounter slower activity and manipulation. Buyers and sellers flip-flop.
• The E-mini (ES), Nasdaq (NQ), and Russell (TF) have similar movement. When scalping, the Dow (YM) is about $5 per tick, so that does not leave much after commissions.
• Summer trading – no need to trade 24 hours a day. Overnight and last hour are traditionally less active. Stay out of the market when conditions are not ideal. Saving money / avoid risk is just as important as winning.
• When beginning trading, spend time practicing. When using real money, despite your wealth, begin with one contract and move up slowly from there.
• What happens when your target is hit and you’re not filled? Price usually has to penetrate to fill your order. It’s better to not take a loss. Get out with a smaller profit instead.
• Problems when trading many contracts – partial fills occur when using limit orders. Market orders help avoid this problem. Getting 10 to 15 contracts filled on a limit order is not too difficult, but above 20 can be challenging.
• The videos page is now updated with over 300 videos, going all the way back to 2009. The methods mostly have not changed. Very few in this industry can claim the same.
• Are you serious about becoming the best trader possible? April 11, 2017 is the next Mentorship class. Two months, twice a week where you receive all our courses and software for a reduced price. Learn everything we have to offer. Click here for details.
By popular demand, here’s the live webinar from yesterday, March 9, 2017. Many traders participated with a lot of great questions. The markets have been choppy lately. See how John Paul takes an objective approach despite the odds. You have to stick to the strategy and the rules no matter how intimidating the market can be.
• Atlas Line live signals
• Trade Scalper live signals
• ATO (At the Open) live signals
• Understanding different order types (limit orders, market orders, stop-limit, etc.)
• Battling choppy markets
• Understanding trends
• Working with price action day in and day out
Want to get the same signals on your charts? Eight weeks of live training plus the ATO, Atlas Line, and Trade Scalper are all included with Mentorship. The next Group Mentorship class begins March 14, 2017. Click here for details. If you want to arm yourself against the markets with the Trade Scalper or Atlas Line standalone, click here for our courses page.
March 9, 2017 is the official rollover date for E-mini futures. On that date, you can switch to the ES 06-17 (June 2017) contract. As of this moment, most traders are still trading the March contract, which currently has over 6x the volume compared to the 06-17 contract. Of course, the volume will transfer to the 06-17 contract in the coming days. Some traders prefer to trade the contract with the greatest volume. Others prefer to switch on the exact roll date, no matter what. Click here for the CME page that shows the volume. On the roll date, expect a significant amount of volume to transfer over. After March 9, the next roll date is June 8, 2017.
As a reminder, here’s how to roll over your contracts with NinjaTrader 7. If you use NinjaTrader 8, click here. In NinjaTrader 7, begin by going to Tools > Instrument Manager
1. In the name box, type in the name of the instrument you wish to roll over (e.g. ES)
2. Click Search
3. A row should appear for the instrument you searched for. Click on the row so it becomes highlighted. If you’re doing this on or after Mar. 9, notice how NinjaTrader automatically knows the new contract to use. If you are rolling over early, you may need to select 06-17 from the Expiry list.
4. Click the button that has a black arrow that points to the left. Doing so will add the new contract period to the list of selectable instruments. If desired, you can select old contracts from the left list and then click the right black arrow button to remove them.
5. Once satisfied, click OK at the bottom.
Now, go to an existing chart or open a new chart. You should be able to select the new contract period.
This picture shows the steps from above: